There have been numerous reasons cited for Smythe’s decision to rename the team. The Maple Leafs say that the name was chosen in honour of the Maple Leaf Regiment from World War I.
My friend Haley actually won the grand-prize (two tickets to tonight's Blackhawks game) and my other friend Cheryl and I won the runner-up prizes! All female hockey fans representing our favorite team! Very cool and very fun. My prize: a Tony Esposito bobblehead! GO HAWKS!
I only want Scott playing one position tonight: BUTT. Stand in front of Luongo and don't move from there. Waggle your butt, fart, flirt with Lu. Whatever.
"What are your thoughts on crazed hockey fans befriending hockey players on Facebook & knowing every bit of information about said player?"
This is a question that was left in my Tumblr's ask box. I'm going to guess that this question stemmed from the recent $500 fine a Wings fan received from the Detroit police after hurling an octopus onto the ice during Game 1 on Tuesday night. The fan was also ejected, a punishment that isn't exactly new and has happened before, but the fine is relatively new. Don't be fooled. I may be a Blackhawks fan, but I've always enjoyed the octopus twirling tradition that exists in Detroit. You have to admit, it is pretty entertaining to watch fans of all shapes and sizes whirling slimy sea creatures above their heads. That tradition has been around for nearly sixty years now. It’s a part of Detroit hockey, and trying to take it away is like trying to tell Detroit fans that they can no longer call their city Hockey Town as far as I’m concerned. The Panthers throw rubber rats, the Yotes throw rubber snakes and the Wings throw octopi. That’s just how it is.
- First name: Charlene
- Twitter handle: @Blackhawksgrl88
- Favorite NHL team(s): Chicago Blackhawks
- Fan since: Forever
- How did you originally become a Blackhawks fan? Went to my first game in the 90’s and was completely hooked.
- Were you ever a fan of a different team before the Blackhawks? Nope.
- In your opinion, why are the Blackhawks such a great team to be a fan of? Young, talented group of guys who play the game hard and with a bunch of heart.
- What is it about the game of hockey that you like so much? The speed and the talented players.
- If you could change one thing about hockey, what would it be and why? The officiating, I mean c’mon.
- Which rule would you toss from the rulebook? Goaltender interference, especially when it gets misused.
- First name: Teri
- Twitter handle: @tdspringer
- Favorite NHL team: Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks and whoever is playing the Buffalo Sabres.
- Fan since: 1963
- How did you originally become a Penguins/Red Wings/Blackhawks fan? Wings: my uncle was the team dentist. I went to my first game in 1963. Hawks: lived [in Chicago]. Parents were friends with Mikita’s. I used to babysit their kids, and Meg later babysat my son. Penguins: not sure why. I have just followed them since expansion.
- Were you ever a fan of a different team before the Penguins/Red Wings/Blackhawks? I think #5 answers this pretty well.
- In your opinion, why are the Penguins/Red Wings/Blackhawks such a great team to be a fan of? Wings and Hawks have a great history. Pens, I am friends with someone on the team now.
- What is it about the game of hockey that you like so much? What’s not to like? It’s fast, it’s intense, and it’s on ice and has hot men.
- If you could change one thing about hockey, what would it be and why? Colin Campbell. I am ready, willing and very able to step into his job tomorrow for no pay, just expenses.
- Which rule would you toss from the rulebook? Instigator.
I know that this blog has been grossly neglected in the past two months. Between schoolwork, the Blackhawks making the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, discovering the succubus that is Tumblr, and launching a whole new set of hockey designs on a brand new hockey Tumblr, I've been overwhelmed. I swear that's going to change, preferably soon. If you haven't noticed, I've revamped the whole blog with a new look. Hope that everyone likes it. I apologize to my followers (do I even have any?) for the long absence.